Addison Rae & Tanner Buchanan: He's All That Interview

He's All That is an update to the 1999 classic She's All That. The new film, which premieres on August 27 on Netflix, filters the ugly duckling trope through the lens of social media fame. The teen rom-com follows high school TikTok star Padgett Sawyer (played by real-life TikTok star Addison Rae) on a journey of self-actualization, with a pitstop at attempting to makeover her loner classmate Cameron Kweller (Tanner Buchanan, Cobra Kai).

After breaking up with her cheating boyfriend via livestream and unwittingly becoming the villain of the story in the process, Padgett recovers from the backlash by making a bet on whether she can turn Cameron into the new It Boy. In a tale as old as time, she ends up falling for him herself and must reflect on whether the person she presents online is the one she wants to be in life.

Related: 15 Unforgettable Teen Romance Movies From The 90s & 2000s

Buchanan and Rae spoke to Screen Rant about building their chemistry and working with director Mark Waters (Mean Girls), as well as their personal favorite romcoms of the last few decades.

Screen Rant: I really loved your chemistry. You really built the relationship onscreen. Can you talk about building that chemistry and playing with romcom tropes?

Addison Rae: Yeah, I think our chemistry was super natural. We met and got to spend a lot of time together before we started filming - quite a while before we started filming - and really got to know each other and spend time with the script and everything.

We kind of dove right into getting to know each other. I think the entire cast took advantage of that and was like, "Alright, look. We're not going to start with the favorite color stuff. Tell me about your trauma." We all got to be really close, and I think that was really helpful; just being on set together in general. Really getting to know each other, and actually taking that extra step to be like, "Alright, let's get to know each other more than most people get to know each other."

It was reflected throughout the entire film, and even off set. We have a group chat that we still interact in, and I think that was what was so cool too. We really all enjoyed spending time with each other and got to know each other really well.

Mark Water is famous for iconic teen films, like Mean Girls. Tanner, do you feel his directing style added something to the film, aside from bringing the cast together like glue?

Tanner Buchanan: Yeah, I do. I think Mark came in and knew exactly what he wanted and how we were going to go about it, and he had this really great plan of how it was going to get made. And I think [it went] perfectly.

It was actually quite a treat to work with him because he just had everything so mapped out in his mind of how everything was going to work. And I think it came out perfectly, so it was wonderful to work with him.

Speaking of classic teen comedies or romcoms, do you guys have a personal favorite? Which one did you grow up with, or which one shaped you?

Addison Rae: I feel like there are plenty. She's All That was a movie that I got introduced to really young; my mom was always a big fan. I love 10 Things I Hate About You, that was a great one. Just Go With It was a great one - really, any of those [Adam Sandler romcoms]. 50 First Dates; Drew Barrymore did an amazing job all the time in her roles too.

I feel like those were always very iconic movies that always will be loved by so many, especially me. I loved all of those movies.

Tanner Buchanan: Same. I mean, She's All That was a big one for me. 10 Things I Hate About You because I'm in love with Heath Ledger. The other big one for me is A Walk to Remember; that's probably one of my big ones. That's the first movie I cried to, so I continue to watch it. I actually watch that movie over and over again - don't know why - and I cry every time.

More: Is Netflix He's All That Connected To She's All That?

He's All That arrives August 27 on Netflix.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3ktEMtM

Post a Comment

0 Comments