Krysten Ritter Interview: Nightbooks | Screen Rant

Nightbooks updates the iconic story of One Thousand and One Nights and adds in some spooky elements. The new Netflix film premieres on the streaming site on September 15 and stars Krysten Ritter as a witch who kidnaps a young boy named Alex (Winslow Fegley) and forces him to tell stories to stay alive. The film is based on the children's book of the same name by J.A. White.

Related: Mikki Daughtry & Tobias Iaconis Interview: Nightbooks

Screen Rant spoke to Ritter about why she loves this role, what drew her to the story, and whether or not she'd like to return to playing Jessica Jones.

Screen Rant: I love your look in this movie. I love the witchy vibe. What was your favorite aspect of this role?

Krysten Ritter: I love that she is so unexpected and has so many colors. She is funny and fabulous and deliciously evil, but then also really scary, [a] total psychopath. The hair and the makeup and the costumes were just so fun. And this is just one of those roles that's kind of like the role of a lifetime, and I just had the most fun playing this character.

Why do you say role of a lifetime? 

Krysten Ritter: You know, it's rare that you have these big bad female villains who are also fabulous and also funny and a little bit of everything and you kind of can't put them in a box. It's really kind of hard to even...like what else is there? You know? Right? There's not a lot of roles like it.

She's hot, she's evil, she's fabulous.

Krysten Ritter: Yeah. Things like this don't come around every day.

I love that the lesson in this movie and in the book was to embrace what makes you unique. Was there a time in your life or career where that sentiment kind of clicked in for you?

Krysten Ritter: Yeah, I think probably all of us, right? I know I was a weird and different kid, and this is the kind of movie that definitely speaks to me. I love the message that the thing that makes you weird and maybe gets you picked on is actually what makes you awesome. And I think that's such a great message. And when I watched the movie, it just hit me so much. Like, yes, there's big set pieces and big scares and [a] larger than life witch, but there's real heart to this movie. I'm just so proud to be a part of it because of that.

This doesn't feel like all of the other sort of things that have come out recently. This made me feel the way I felt watching Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, or The Big Adventure, or Willy Wonka [and the] Chocolate Factory when they're on those big, beautiful, sick sets. It just felt large like that and really creative.

Well, last time I interviewed you, we were on set of Jessica Jones in New York. And I feel like you get asked this a lot, but I feel like it's kind of warranted here because Sam Raimi is a producer and he's doing Dr. Strange 2, and the multi-verse is kind of cracked open, and I feel like no one else can play Jessica Jones but you. Would you be game if that comes up? 

Krysten Ritter: I would absolutely just die to play Jessica again. I had the best time doing it and I just love her so much. I'm so proud of that character. Not only because it was a great role and she's such a bad-ass, but that character has really resonated with people in a way that I don't know who else has. Really, really resonated with women and girls, trauma survivors. It's just so, so big and such a thing I'm so grateful to have been a part of. So if there's ever an opportunity for me to put on those boots, I will be there

Next: Why Krysten Ritter Should Return As Jessica Jones



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3lw3bPA

Post a Comment

0 Comments